Dallas County MapDallas County was created by the Alabama Territorial legislature on Feb. 9, 1818 from Montgomery County, a portion of the Creek cession of Aug. 9, 1814. It was named for U.S. Treasury Secretary Alexander J. Dallas of Pennsylvania.

Dallas County is located in the Black Belt region of the west-central portion of the state. It is traversed by the Alabama River and bordered by Perry, Chilton, Autauga, Lowndes, Wilcox, and Marengo counties. Originally, the county seat was at Cahaba, which also served as the state capital for a brief period. In 1865, the county seat was transferred to Selma. Other towns and communities include Marion Junction, Sardis, Orrville, and Minter.

More Dallas County History

Online Records

Online Resources

Researching Dallas County

Dallas County, Alabama Genealogy is part of the ALGenWeb Project
Copyright @ 2104 by B.J. Smothers

Last updated 23 Nov 2014